Sunday 13 September 2015

Cookbook a Day - The Joy of Cooking

Hi folks,

So glad that you are taking time to visit us as I have decided to forge ahead with my #cookbookaday idea.

If you know me in real life you have probably seen my cookbook collection. Not to be immodest but it is rather large and covers a wide variety of subjects. Like most people, however, I fall into a rut of cooking the same go-to meals. Not that there is anything wrong with that. We ALL have our favourite meals, correct? And, we ALL have busy lives and taking out the cookbooks to find something new to try just doesn't fit into the daily plan.

Well, I've decided I want that to change. I want to be able to answer the question "So, have you actually USED each one of those cookbooks?" with a (prideful) resounding "Of course!"

It has been a rainy weekend here in Ottawa and I was feeling in need of comfort food for Sunday dinner. And nothing says comfort food to me more than an oven roasted chicken. Growing up in Newfoundland, Sunday dinner (served at noon NOT 6pm) was always roasted meat of some sort (chicken, beef, pork, turkey, ham) with boiled veggies (potatoes, carrots, turnip, cabbage) and salt beef. As an adult, I must confess, I HATE boiled veggies. Actually, even as an older kid, I'd always take my veggies and mash them up with butter and pepper. Because, let's face it, butter and pepper make EVERYTHING taste better.

Anyways, after deciding on oven roasted chicken I pondered what to have as my starchy side. Hmmmm.....Risotto! I love risotto. I would be happy to JUST have the risotto. Give me the pot, give me a spoon, send me on my way. I'm happy.

I mentioned to the other half what I was planning for dinner and he went in search of a wine from his collection and came back with this 2013 Closson Chase Chardonnay.




His wine choice wound up influencing my choice of risotto recipe. I grabbed the two cookbooks from which I had previously made risotto and decided that the one with the least amount of wine in the recipe would be the one I made - leaving more Chardonnay for drinking with dinner! The winner of risotto recipe roulette?

Risotto In Bianco



from my much loved copy of "The Joy of Cooking". EVERY kitchen needs this cookbook.




And here is what we finally enjoyed for dinner. A lemon and herb oven roasted chicken with carrots, risotto and harvest kale salad from Farm Boy tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette.




The wine pairing was PERFECT! One of those rare evenings where we finished a full bottle of wine with dinner. A great way to cap off a busy weekend.

I hope you come back again for the next installment of my #cookbookaday series!

No comments: